Thread: Looking for the Uniondale Ghost

Default Looking for the Uniondale Ghost

Oh dear, not to upset anybody because I know the family requested Maria Roux laid to rest, but...does anyone have any info at all about the Uniondale Ghost?

mmm this is an interesting subject. I always wondered how it was possible for ghosts to appear wearing the same clothes they were killed in. Surely the clothes are no longer and have been discarded or were destroyed by family, doctors, ambulance or other people after "the accident". I also want to ask how is it possible for a "ghost" to "see", "feel" and even in some cases "speak" when eyes, body and vocal chords have obviously been buried. In many cases they even have the same colour hair, which is ridiculous to assume. Why on earth would a ghost bother to wear clothes or even appear to wear the same clothes. Why don't they simply choose to be fashionable and "wear" something different for a change? Surely the same clothes for 100's of years is a joke.

I won't even begin to ask about people who claim to have left their body and "saw" things. How on earth can you take your mind, memory and sight with you when everything that is logically associated with these facets are left behind in the body
    Last edited by HandMade; Friday, 11 January 2008 at 14:03.
    G
    WebMaster
    http://www.gardenroute.com
    Business & Travel Guide to Garden Route South Africa

I just realized that I was under the impression Google had already been used to "dig" info regarding this legend. I do apologise. I did discover the following:

http://www.castleofspirits.com/vanishing.html

By far the most info as far as I am aware.
    G
    WebMaster

Scary stuff . Makes for interesting reading. I was definitely not aware of any Uniondale ghost.

Also some food for thought regards why they always seem to have the same clothes on. Never really gave this much thought. I am no expert, but I always imagined that some ghosts/spirits somehow have the ability to project an image, something bearing resemblance to a hologram. Ghosts that are in denial or refuse to accept or those that have yet to realize they have passed to the "other side", project the image last embedded in their mind.

mmm ok I can almost accept this in some strange way, but how does a "hologram" actually project sound, appear to have sight (gets into a vehicle) amongst other senses and then accept a jacket, is able to wear it and then leave this "physical leather jacket" at the graveside.

Holograms are images and are in no way physical and therefore shouldn't be able to feel, touch, see or in this example lift anything physical.

A typical example of "stupid" logic would be the movie Dragonfly with Kevin Costner. His deceased wife or "spirits she has contact with or control over" are able to move physical things, like re-pack his clothes into his closet or move physical things around. Why, if they have the ability to move such heavy objects around, don't they just write a note or arrange the clothes in a manner that is unmistakably intelligent. Why create all the sinister "ghost like" scenarios. Why don't they just arrange the fridge magnets to say " Hello Dear, can we talk"? Why is there never anything undeniably real. Its always a vague "D" or an "A" or something sinister or unexplainable.
    Last edited by HandMade; Monday, 21 January 2008 at 15:43.
    G
    WebMaster

'ello! I don't really belive in the entire "ghost"-tales as well, Handmade. It's way too...just not believable. And yes, I do think "ghosts" may be more of a demonic manifestation than being the dead person. But you know... curiosity killed the cat". I am sooooooo curios about these stories; I have spent many a night in or around graveyards where people mentioned the appiritions of spirits, but none yet... Anyhow, maybe we'll pass there this Easter (hehe, ironic) just to soothe ourselves (that's me and husband now).
    By the way, is there anyone out there who can say whether there is a motorcycle/car chasing people and disappearing at the point of impact, just to get tourist sh*tting their pants? (Sorry, can't think how else to put it.)

Default I've encountered her I think!

Many years ago, about 1995/6, my girlfriend and I moved to a little forestry station (called Kransbos) at the end of the Prince Alfreds pass that starts near Uniondale. I had never before heard of the Uniondale ghost.

One night, maybe about 3-4am, I dreamed that I woke up in my bed and got up (so actually I got up out of my body it seems) and I sensed there was something in the house. I tried to switch on the light but I coudn't; my fingers just didn't move the switch... and then I was in the lounge and I could sense distinctly that there was something a few meters from me, and then a woman's voice, a deep voice said "hello julle". I woke up with a big jolt... it was very vivid. I don't think I had ever before dreamed that I got up out of the bed where I actually lay sleeping, not to speak of having such an encounter!!

Then a few weeks later we had some visitors and one of them said "aren't we close to Uniondale?"... "Have you heard about the Uniondale ghost?" ... I was immediately intrigued in light of my recent experience. She explained that there was a ghost in the area but I don't recall her adding any details.

I used to drive to and back from Knysna once a week to give lessons to a group in Knysna, about 60KM away, and I never had any concerns driving home at night, sometimes after midnight. One night, when I got to a few kilometres from our home, the same place I had had this "dream", I was suddenly overwhelmed, completely out of the blue, but a sense that someone was in the car behind me!! It's hard to explain, but there was nothing subtle about it! I stopped the car and was too afraid to turn around for quite a while... I just told it to go away!

A week later I was driving home again, and just after Wittedrift there's this little winding pass that gets you onto a plateau, and at the same spot once again I was suddenly seized with that same sensation, and then I remembered that the same thing had happened there a week prior. I had totally forgotten about it until then.

It's true that these may seem very subjective experiences, but they were very vivid. Never before or since have I had such experiences. The woman's deep "hello julle" still raises the hairs on my body!! Could it have been the Uniondale ghost? I don't know, but I can say that it seemed a female ghost greeted me a little ominously in my home soon after moving to that general area.

Wow, many thanks for your post. I am absolutely astounded by your experience. Very strange indeed and completely unexplainable.

As my previous posts clearly state, I am clearly a die-hard skeptic when it comes to "ghost stories", but your account certainly makes one wonder at how little we actually know about our "spiritual sense", for want of a better term, which we as individuals experience, but cannot adequately explain. The reality is one cannot deny that such experiences exist, as they are well documented and everyone at some stage of their life, probably has had similar. It just happens and those who experience it, just know it to be true. How or why is simply unknown. Many convince themselves the experience was just emotions, fear and the mind simply fooling itself. This may be true for many, but like the story above, some are just a little too hard to explain away and it leaves one with an eerie feeling and nagging unanswered questions.
    G
    WebMaster

Hi guys

I know that rumour has it that Maria Roux is the Uniondale ghost, but from the story I just heard, it was not a girl with dark hair who persished in a car accident that still lingers there.
    My mom's boyfriend says he saw a woman with blonde hair, holding a motorcycle helmet standing next to that same piece of road that astrofit describes. He says, he thought it was a hijacking trick and refused to stop. A couple of meters later however, she sat beside him in his car. He says he looked at her, completely baffled by how she managed to get into his car when he didn't stop for her. She had long blonde hair, and there was a luminous light glowing from her. He was shocked, and shouted, "Hey, what are you doing in my car?" She then smiled at him, and then she disappeared.

This happended a year or so ago. He says he nearly shat himself.

To the family of Maria Roux, the Uniondale ghost is not her. This blonde woman must have died in a motorcycle accident?

This story gets stranger and stranger. The link in one of my previous posts relates a similar story of the vanishing girl. In the lead story the witness gives her a lift and even gets to locate and talk to the mother of the dead girl. Its a great pity full details are not known. The stories on the site are all similar versions of the same hitchhiker girl in Uniondale. I don't believe any of them refer to the girl being blonde or brunette, however there are no doubt many stories of Maria around which may describe her as blonde. For those who don't know, Maria Roux is reported to have been the famous/notorious Uniondale ghost.

The Ghost of Uniondale

She is probably South Africa’s most well known highway ghost.

On our recent vacation, we passed through Uniondale and we were told the following story, the inhabitants swear it is true:

The story starts on the evening of 12th April 1968 when a recently engaged couple, Maria Roux and G.M. Pretorius were travelling from Graaf Reinet to Riversdal. They however never made their destination , Pretorius lost control of the vehicle just outside Uniondale and they were involved in a horrible accident. Pretorius was injured and when the wreck was found by a local farmer the next morning Maria was dead.

A few years later, in 1976 motorists started seeing a woman in white alongside the road where the accident took place. Some motorists picked her up, minutes later they would hear a shrill laugh , the sound of a door closing and an icy chill would be felt inside the car. This became known as the ghost of Maria Roux. It is also said that the local police department kept some sugar water available to calm tourists who came in to report seeing a ghost.

The story further goes that Pretorius got married a year after the tragic accident and that is why Maria became restless, the fact that her fianc had found love in the arms of another woman.

When Pretorius himself died in a car accident in 1984, Maria stopped appearing, she was at peace at last.
    :Post at: http://funkymunky.co.za/sa_legends.html

If Maria was blonde and the story related to koeileksel, by her mom's boyfriend is assumed to be genuine there obviously is another ghost other than Maria Roux.

Hmmm very strange indeed....
    G
    WebMaster